Monday, May 17, 2010

Farewell Arcadia!

Signed into my Hotmail account today and noticed a lovely little e-mail from the Mod of the Arcadia forum ("Suspension from Arcadia Forum‏", Sunday, 16 May 2010 10:36:16 PM):
We have noticed that you have published private messages arising out of the Arcadia forum on your blog. Not only is this against the Arcadia house rules, but we consider this to be disrespectful and unethical. You will therefore be suspended from the Arcadia forum for a period of 6 weeks.
Your account has been deactivated and will be reactivated on 27 June, but only should you delete the messages immediately from your blog (within 24 hours); otherwise consider your ban to be permanent.
The "private messages" he refers to are featured here. It wouldn't surprise me if someone dobbed me in. Otherwise, it means Mr. Mod "checks up" on me, which is cool in itself.

Anyway, I was left with a tough decision, especially in light of the brief timeframe ("24 hours"). I was caught between a rock and a hard place (plus, I've got a busy night ahead). Do I censor myself and ride out the six week suspension or do I make a stand against this hypocrite? After some careful consideration, here's what I wrote back ("RE: Suspension from Arcadia Forum‏", Monday, 17 May 2010 4:05:25 PM):
Let me tell you what's unethical: exhibiting double standards in carrying out your censorship policy against forum members.

You repeatedly censored and warned me about "personal attacks", but allowed David and co. to do the same unhindered (until very recently). You've even been ok with him advertising his merchandise on the forum, even though this is against the board's "spam" policy.

After I reported another member ("Archangel Michael") for posting personal details and such, did you punish them? No, of course not. You slapped me with a two week suspension.

Did you check out the IP of this member against another harasser ("George")? Buggered if I know. And wouldn't you know it? Now clarmonde's been complaining about getting harassed by another member on there. Great "police" work there, Mod!

What choice did I have? You do display double standards in upholding your rules. Slapping me with a six week suspension is an absolute joke. For what? Telling the truth?

So, you know what? Perm ban me. I'm not going to succumb to your threats. Or your double standards.

Have a good one.
Well, it was a good run while it lasted. So, to fellow forum members, no, I haven't chickened out or gotten bored with Arcadia. It's still a lively place for discussion. But there's only so much of this kinda crap I can take. After all, I had to found my own forum to escape this kinda wonky censorship.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Mod starts deleting my posts in a hissyfit or reporting me to "higher authorities". Welcome to the Highgate Madness, folks!

But hey, why not seize a golden opportunity? Here's a follow-up message I've sent to the Mod ("RE: Suspension from Arcadia Forum", Monday, 17 May 2010 4:20:54 PM):
Oh, by the way, would you like to do an interview for my blog? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Highgate biz, since you've had to filter so much of it via discussions on the forum.

Let me know, ok?
Reckon he'll get back to me? I bloody hope so.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails